Director of Marketing
This is a unique opportunity to grow a company from 2M to 10M and beyond as the first marketing hire for a growing business.
We've gotten to this point with our founder, Nat, doing all the marketing, but we've grown to the point where we need a dedicated expert to handle it.
As our director of marketing, you'll have your hands in every part of the business.
You'll get to run whatever growth experiments you want to increase the number of qualified leads reaching out to work with us. And you'll build relationships with some of the best growth marketers online as you increase the awareness of Growth Machine's work.
This is not a good job for someone who wants to show up, get told what to do, then do it.
This is a good job for someone who gets excited about the opportunity to take over a process, run their own experiments, figure out what is and isn't working, and see the impact of their work.
If that excites you, then read on.
Please read the job description in its entirety to make sure you're a good fit before applying.
What Growth Machine Does, and Why
Growth Machine is an SEO and content marketing agency supporting major ecommerce and technology companies.
Each month, our content is read by millions of people in categories like health, wellness, travel, food, management, sales, gig work, personal finance, and more.
Our work has been featured in TechCrunch, Shopify, Ahrefs, GrowthHackers, and NoDesk, and we work with many of the top content marketing teams in the country.
We do what we do because we believe there is a massive opportunity for brands to attract customers through useful, informational content, instead of just through ads. We provide the long term, compounding growth channel to offset the rising cost of advertising, and to help a brand build authority instead of just page views.
We see many companies struggle and waste money with content marketing efforts that go nowhere, and we're working to change that.
What You'll Do, and Why
You'll be in charge of all things related to marketing our business, including:
Growing our revenue from 2M ARR to 10M ARR. This is the #1 priority. You'll be in charge of leading working with our CEO and sales team to grow to 10M ARR. You can do that with channels that are already working for us, like content marketing and email, or through other channels you see as bigger opportunities.
Increasing conversion from traffic to MQLs. You'll be in charge of experimenting with different methods for converting new visitors to MQLs, and for quickly evaluating which leads are worth passing on to sales vs. introducing to our other projects.
Increasing traffic to the Growth Machine site. A core part of increasing our lead generation will be increasing traffic to our site. This can be done through SEO, syndication, PR, or whatever channels you wish to pursue.
Hiring and managing in the future as needed. As our marketing team grows, you will be in charge of hiring and leading new team members to support your efforts. Also, for the question about ways to increase our domain authority, just put that you read the entire application.
Other projects as appropriate. You might join the team and realize we should be doing something we haven't thought of. We want to hear it! You'll be in charge of marketing our business, so we want to hear where you think your efforts can be best directed.
Who You'll Work With
You'll work primarily with our CEO, Nat Eliason, to plan out your marketing efforts.
You'll also work with Nora, our COO, to identify the defining criteria of our best fit clients, so you know how to better target your marketing efforts.
You'll also work with Warren, our VP of Sales, to manage the relationship with Marketing & Sales, and to help determine how to attract the businesses we can help the most.
Finally, you'll work with Erika, our internal content creator, to accelerate the growth of our other properties like The Writer Finder and Cup & Leaf, both to support our business and to create case studies we can share with prospective clients.
Where You'll Do It
You'll work from Austin, TX, an incredible up-and-coming city for young companies like ours.
We consider ourselves "remote light." You'll be in-person for a couple days a week, and free to work from wherever else you want the other days.
Not in Austin yet? No problem. We'll help you relocate, and give you ample time to do it.
While these are not firm requirements, the more of these areas you can demonstrate skill in, the better:
- Content Marketing. You've grown a site to 100,000+ monthly visitors or been closely involved in a successful content marketing operation.
- Conversion Rate Optimization. You can optimize a site for conversions, and point to ways you've optimized sites around business goals in the past.
- Sales Collaboration. You should be familiar interfacing with a sales team to define criteria for MQLs and to manage the handoff between Marketing and Sales.
- Entrepreneurial. You'll need to be creative in your role, so some kind of entrepreneurial impulse is good. Side projects, creative solutions to problems at your company, previous startups, are all good signs of this.
- Persistent. You have the tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Strategic. You're able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. You can determine opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Attention to detail. You don't let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Experience Leading. You should have experience leading at least 4+ people in a marketing capacity, whether freelancers or a full-time team.
- Semi-Remote Work: This role is based in Austin, TX, but you'll be able to work from home or a coffee shop at least a couple days per week.
- Health Insurance: Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance for you and your family.
- Life Insurance: We cover life insurance for 2x your salary up to 200k, and you can add up to 500k in additional coverage.
- 401k: You'll have access to a 401k with a 4% company match.
- Profit Sharing: Each quarter we're profitable, a portion of that profit is split amongst the team.
- Vacation and Holiday: 20 days paid vacation time, and we take off all major holidays, including a week over the New Year. You'll earn additional vacation days each year with the company.
- Team Retreats: Two to three all expenses paid team trips per year to cities like Austin, LA, Chicago to get some time together in person.
- Flexible Hours: Want to go to the gym in the afternoon or prefer working later in the day? Not a problem as long as your work is done.